Privacy Matters at Bristol Croquet Club
Privacy Statement 2023: Bristol Croquet Club and Your Personal Data
Bristol Croquet Club, like many other organisations large and small, is required to comply with current legislation. Put very briefly, the principles are that we need to show to our members that the personal data the club collects is for specified, explicit and legitimate purposes; is accurate, processed securely and kept for no longer than necessary; and the Club has a lawful basis for holding that data. "The controller" (currently Ray Ransom) "shall be responsible for, and be able to demonstrate, compliance with the principles."
The Club's possession and processing of your personal data needs to be lawful. There are six lawful bases, of which the most relevant is 'consent'; i.e. your consent. The GDPR sets a high standard for consent. Consent requires a positive opt-in. In other words, you must positively document your consent, having been told the uses we make of your personal data. So here goes:
- The Membership Secretary keeps records of members, comprising their home addresses, email addresses, croquet handicaps and telephone contact details.
- These records are also used by the Treasurer to keep details of subscriptions due and paid; and by the Secretary and other Committee Members to distribute material for General Meetings and other matters pertaining to the Club.
- If you Gift Aid donations to the club, the person submitting the Refund request to HMRC also has access to your data which is held in confidence and is not disclosed to other parties apart from HMRC.
- Members of the Handicap Committees need access to your Handicap Cards. Handicap cards will also be available to Home and Visiting Team Captains during inter-club matches.
- A list of all members, their telephone contact details, email addresses and croquet handicaps, is sent to all members to facilitate contact between them for legitimate purposes associated with recognized Club activities.
- Contact details for Committee members, Team Managers, Tournament and Event Organisers will be disclosed to the Croquet Association and / or the Southwest Federation of Croquet Clubs and will appear on the Bristol Croquet Club website where necessary.
- This information is also stored on the Croquet Association Members' Directory - their secure database - and the level of visibility (i.e. who is allowed to see the information) is controlled by you, the individual member:
- Level 1: members of your club and CA administrators only
- Level 2: any member of the CA and CA administrators
- We will not disclose any member's details to any other body, without their separate consent, unless required to do so by law.
- The data held for any member will be held for a maximum of one year following cessation of membership.
- But note that HMRC requirements dictate that information relating to gift aid needs to be retained for six years following the cessation of membership / two years following submission of the claim.
- More information is available on the Information Commissioner's Office website ico.org.uk
Data Controller Bristol Croquet Club
|Agreed by Committee
||To be reviewed